XylaMed™ is approved for use in horses when it is desirable to produce a state of sedation accompanied by a shorter period of analgesia.
It may also be used for premedication prior to the administration of injectable or gaseous anaesthetics.
Conveniently, XylaMed™ can be administered by either slow intravenous injection or by intramuscular injection.
Specifically, XylaMed™ can be used in the following cases:
- Medical examinations (such as endoscopy, rectal and reproductive tract examinations, radiography)
- Minor surgical procedures (such as dental or tendinous treatments, excision of skin tumours, treatment of various injuries)
- Before surgery or administration of medication (such as gastric intubation, shoeing)
- For premedication prior to administration of injection or inhalation anaesthetics
- XylaMed™ is a sedative with analgesic properties
- The duration and intensity of the effect are dose dependent
- Xylamed™ is rapidly absorbed after intramuscular injection